Comedy Tonight



The opening number to Sondheim's A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

source

33 Responses to "Comedy Tonight"

  1. RIP music composer Ken Thorne. His approach to scoring this film was ideal.

    BalasHapus
  2. I have this on my TiVO, one of my all-time fave Broadway musical ditties....too bad the rest of the musical loses steam though. Oh well, just as the Flintstones, which was done about the same time, is the Honeymooners gone prehistoric, this is almost like the Flintstones gone ancient Rome LOL......oh wait, my bad LOL that wasn't done until 1972 when Hanna-Barbera tried to make another splash into prime-time TV with "The Roman Holidays" which had Barry Livingston (middle son Chip on My Three Sons) and Pam Ferdin (voice of Fern on H-B's Charlotte's Web).

    BalasHapus
  3. By any chance would you have the 1962 original broadway version of this song?
    The words are almost the same as here but the song is sung all the way through
    with no narration breaks and I like the lyrics better.

    BalasHapus
  4. Ladies and gentleman, for Americans, the late Zero Mostel gives us a preview of next week's Republican debate. ;-)

    BalasHapus
  5. At 0:47 I thought that was a young Christophe Lloyd.

    BalasHapus
  6. Saw this in 1980, at Drury Lane North outside Chicago, with Avery Schreiber in the lead. Good show and he did a good job. Thanks for posting this clip.

    BalasHapus
  7. LOL! Very tongue-in-cheek, that. ;-) If one is looking for "accurate depiction" -- look to HBO series "Rome". This, this is FUN!

    BalasHapus
  8. Not tongue-in-cheek at all. The little things are very accurate. Not just fun, but educational!

    BalasHapus
  9. My apologies. I did not intend to insult you or your teacher. While I may disagree with your Latin teacher, I did indeed read your comment incorrectly it seems.

    BalasHapus
  10. Better than I expected, but still missing my favorite line
    "Nothing that's Greek"
    "She plays Madea later this week"

    BalasHapus
  11. I've loved this movie ever since I saw this in Latin class.

    BalasHapus
  12. Oh, hi mellomen. I didn't know you were backup in this number.

    BalasHapus
  13. Also, oddly enough, the Muppets brought me here.

    BalasHapus
  14. This song was on a broadway cd that my mom bought when I was in kindergarten. I distinctly remember singing along to this song in the car, not understanding what I was singing, but still yelling "Comedy tonight!"

    BalasHapus
  15. RIP Zero Mostel 1915-1977 . One of the great ones !

    BalasHapus
  16. My Latin teacher showed us scenes from this. I want to see the whole thing so bad!

    BalasHapus
  17. My high school did this musical my freshman year. The actor for Pseudolis was brilliant. I actually like that version better than this one.

    BalasHapus
  18. no no no no no
    no no no no no
    no no no no-n-n-n-no-no-no no-no

    BalasHapus
  19. I had to sing this song in chorus when I was in the 6th grade back in 2003.

    BalasHapus
  20. Same, except it was Latin Lit. Ah, memories.

    BalasHapus
  21. my schools doing this for a musical and watched in latin

    BalasHapus
  22. Saw it last night in Washington DC. Wasn't as fortunate as my parents to see Zero Mostel play the part of Pseudolus, but a good production all the same. Who the hell are the 8 people who gave this the thumbs down?!?!!?!!

    BalasHapus
  23. Saw the play in High School !

    BalasHapus
  24. Yup that'll be stuck in my head for the next week.

    As it should be.

    BalasHapus