Lovely - Ruthie Henshall / Carol Burnett



Ruthie Henshall and Carol Burnett give an amazing performance of "Lovely, " originally from Sondheim's musical "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way to the Forum."

This excerpt is from the highly recommended Region 1 DVD "Putting It Together" of a live 1999 performance. Other excerpts are available at
http://www.theBestArts.com/PuttingItTogether/

Browse our website at http://www.theBestArts.com for more great dance, music and musical theatre performances.

source

26 Responses to "Lovely - Ruthie Henshall / Carol Burnett"

  1. It's hilarious how people who don't know anything about singing criticize Ruthie for "clenching" her teeth. You don't have to have your mouth wide open like a hippo. Look at Carol. Her mouth is always wide open, and she doesn't get half the focus or loveliness of Ruthie. Her sound is all over the place.

    The sound comes up your throat, bounces off your soft palate, and rings on the back of your teeth----as when it bounces off porcelain in your bathroom. Ruthie has excellent technique, and takes advantage of her perfectly shaped teeth to create her distinctive ringing tone.

    BalasHapus
  2. I almost always play this song whenever I'm creating my character on a video game. Just perfection.

    BalasHapus
  3. At least one moment everyday
    I hear the echos of your soft voice
    And though it's only in my mind
    It stays with me,I have no choice
    I reached for you as if you're there
    Your tender touch,your warm embrace
    And though it's been so many years
    I still can see your beautiful face.
    We're all just prisoners of time,
    as the days go rushing bye..
    I can always hear your
    lovely voice in every song..
    Ruthie Henshall you are so lovely..

    BalasHapus
  4. @jgardell I agree. She sounds like a female kermit a lot. Her vowels are far too wide.

    BalasHapus
  5. I just think this scene is hilarious! Carol is fantastic ... What is this humorous footprint?

    BalasHapus
  6. She can DOoooooooooo! aahhahahahah

    BalasHapus
  7. The singing of Ruthie in the number is part of the character. That's all. I own this dvd and can asure that she doesn't sing like that in other numbers. Ruthie is a consummate singer and actress. Just check out her other work eg. Fantine.

    BalasHapus
  8. Of cours she sings like she's clenching her teeth. Because she is. She's constantly smiling as a show of her lovelyness. She's not doing anything wrong.

    BalasHapus
  9. I REALLY wish I could have this as a recording. I think it's hilarious.

    BalasHapus
  10. I'll be honest though, I find the way she sings through her teeth inexplicably appealing. She "outgrew" it for the most part, but I looooooooove earlier Ruthie and that sound she can get while singing through her teeth. Actually I love most Bway and West End voices before they've really and truly matured - that absolutely goes for Sarah Brightman as well, among others. But Ruthie's voice circa this time... gets ME every time. :) It's not like any other!

    BalasHapus
  11. No... she kinda does sing like that in other shows BUT I think it's a positive rather than any kind of detractor. Just me!

    BalasHapus
  12. YESSSSSS. That just makes this 100x funnier.

    BalasHapus
  13. Carol Burnett @ 3:10 - 3:34 ♥
    That just made my Whole Life ! XD

    BalasHapus
  14. She has an operatic voice, probably coloratura, and disguises it for musicals by singing with her mouth closed. That much voice in such a gorgeous package...truly spectacular.

    BalasHapus
  15. Ruthie is really really pretty when she's not wearing that horrendous Fantine 10th anniversary wig.

    BalasHapus
  16. Apparently two people just aren't lovely. ;)

    BalasHapus
  17. ruthie isnt strained never flat always supported just beautiful!!!!

    BalasHapus
  18. I have a vocal crush on Ruthie Henshall

    BalasHapus
  19. I am a fan of her but you are right that she sings like she is clenching her teeth. That is how she sounds to me. Only in some parts though.

    BalasHapus
  20. when carol says "but...she's HAPPY" I laugh out loud every time no matter how many times i watch this

    BalasHapus